I haven’t forgotten about you all, I promise, but I started my other job last week and it’s kept me busy and then exhausted (in that order). I have to get up and go running before the sun (otherwise, there’s no running and that unthinkable). I’m waiting to find my balance before attempting to start up my blog at full speed. I’ll probably be doing fewer posts over the next few weeks.
Here are a few thoughts I’ve had since working as a para for the 4th grade:
- I love the kids.
- Trying to get kids in from recess is like herding cats.
- 4th graders are very big on things being fair/unfair.
- Silent reading time really isn’t silent. I do not understand this as I always loved silent reading time.
- An enthusiastic teacher can make all the difference.
- Kids can be too tired to sit up in class, and then go outside and run around. There’s something askew about this.
- Being in the front of the line is strangely empowering for a 10 year old.
- Did I mention that I like the kids? They’re fantastic.
I’m looking forward to somehow using my love of learning and reading and writing to inspire these kids to love it even a fraction as much as I do. This new adventure makes me happy.